Monday 18 January 2010

Left, Right, Hook, Left

Well my first full week of marathon training didn’t quite go to plan. Mondays treadmill run left my calves so sore that not only did I miss Tuesdays club session but I had to cut short my 10k race pace run on Thursday and my 9 mile long run on Saturday. It’s very disappointing to go out on a run but then have to abandon it. Psychologically its tough because part of you wants to run on anyway “You have to run a marathon in 4 months, just get on with it” and the other part remembers how frustrating not running at all because running on sore calves gave me shin splints “Be sensible, better to go home now and live to run another day”. I probably looked a little silly stood still by the river in my running gear having a mental argument with myself. That’s mental as in ‘internal’ by the way, just in case you had images of me ranting and raving at the trees ;)

On the plus side I did manage to go to circuit training and it was brilliant. SO many different exercises and the punching section had my heart-rate going faster than during a 10k race! Really tough and quite painful for my weedy little arms on Friday and Saturday but, after another couple of sessions, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem anymore. Boys, (You know who you are!) stop belly-aching and get your bums back down there. If I can do it, you can :)

Week 2 starts today. I think Im just gonna go for a tester run and see how it goes. Definitely not going to more than 4 miles though It’s the Wymondham 10k this Sunday and Im eyeing up my first ever PB so I need my shins to hold out.

Garmin Status – Still not here.


www.justgiving.com/vickijudd

2 comments: